You are in: > Participate > Legal Question and Answers


Select a category to view the answers


116. i have a paper english driving licence, i am now a resident and homeowner in spain with a spanish plated car, i need to change my licence over. I live in la linea at the moment and i need to know where to go to apply to change my licence over. - michelle Robins 29 - 06 - 2009

The address of your local Traffic Department office in La Línea is as follows: Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico, Av. Ppe. Asturias, s/n, Edf. Panorama, 11300 La Línea (Cádiz), opening hours Monday to Friday from 9 am to 2 pm. You may also wish to consult the following web page which has a lot of useful information for British drivers in Spain:

111. my partner was arrested in spain for drink driving,he attended an informal meeting where he was told he would be fined and banned for twelve months,he then had to wait for a court appearance,after two months we still hadnt heard anything and due to work and family commitments we had to return to the uk,however we do hope to return to spain in the next few months to stay,could you advise us of our situation, thanks a lot. - angelus1 04 - 06 - 2009

During your absence from Spain it is possible that the Court may have tried to notify you of the date of the hearing and your nonappearance could lead to your being declared in contempt of court. When you return to Spain the first thing you should do is to go to the police station where you were arrested and find out which Court your case was assigned to, so that you can then find out how far the proceedings have progressed. If you are caught driving in Spain whilst being in contempt of court the consequences could be very serious and even result in imprisonment.

109. I am interested in moving to Fuengirola Spain in 2011
and would like to be inquire about non resident status
and heath care protocol. As I have visited the area
for 14 years, I still need understanding of the law.
Richard 28-05-2009
- Richard Cortez 28 - 05 - 2009

You are entitled to receive free national health care and assistance temporarily here as a tourist using your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). However if you intend residing here permanently you should consider how this may affect your situation abroad since long-term residence could affect your entitlement to receive national health care in the UK.

107. we let our apartment through an estate agent and when they failed to pay rent for 2 months we finally got them out but when we went in we found most of the funishing had either been swapped for old or taken completely the agent says it is nothing to do with him they have moved 2 bloques from apartment on same complex what can we do - kevin 27 - 05 - 2009

The viability of a claim against the tenant would be based essentially on your ability to provide evidence supporting such a claim, including documents such as the following: inventory of contents, photographs showing the state of the property and furniture before it was rented; rental contract; registration of the contract with the Junta de Andalucía. It would also be helpful to examine the contract with the estate agency to establish any liability on their part in the discharge of their duties as rental agents.

104. I am in the process of trying to apply for Spanish nationality, as my father was exiled as a result of the Spanish civil war.

Part of the process is, I have to prove that my father was of Spanish origin, so I will be required to show his birth certificate which I don't have.

I have made an application to the ministry of justice requesting for a copy of my fathers birth certificate and it's process is presently ongoing.

But what really concerns me is, if a copy or no record can be found of my fathers birth certificate in Barbastro or Estadilla, because during the civil war, some offices in the churches and registry offices where records were kept, were destroyed by fire.

So what would the next step be if my fathers certificate of birth cannot be found?

Machos gracias - Carino 18 - 05 - 2009

If you are not able to obtain a copy of your father’s birth certificate, perhaps you could try to establish paternity via your grandparents by proving their status as the legal parents of your father. Failing that it is sometimes possible to obtain a certificate stating that the civil registry records of a certain locality were destroyed during the war by fire whereby paternity may be claimed by the interested party based on other available evidence.
 1 / 11  >> Siguiente
Landwell Tax and Legal Advisers
Landwell Tax and Legal Advisers Landwell Tax and Legal Advisers. PricewaterhouseCoopers
Edificio Teatinos Plaza, Calle Pirandello 16, 29010 Malaga. Phone: 952 345 400

Search engine

Search for questions, answers, and screen names .


Screen name*





Question category*

Ask your question *

* Required fields

NOTE: Details of AGE and SEX are required to answer the question and the POSTCODE is used to compile statistics.